FreeÂ IntroductionÂ Webinar (five-part webinarÂ series to follow throughout 2015)
Date: Thursday, September 25, 2014
Time: 2:00 â€“ 3:30 PM (CST)
Management of personal finances requires information. Different kinds of information are needed to safely and successfully earn, borrow, save, invest, spend, and protect against risk. As with other literacies, libraries are uniquely qualified to address this information need. This webinar will describe the rationale, process, and purpose of these national guidelines and best practices, with recommendations for implementation.
Read more.Â Register here.
Check out the new online courses!
Buzz e-learning â€“ Register now! –
The Reference and User Services Association (RUSA) is seeking nominations for its annual series of awards and grants. Nominations and supporting materials for most awards must be submitted by Dec. 14, 2014.
RUSAÂ encourages members to nominate their colleagues whose work has influenced their thinking and performance and whose contributions merit recognition by the profession.
Achievement awards for individuals and groups:
- IsadoreÂ GilbertÂ MudgeÂ Award,Â RUSAâ€™sÂ highest honor, recognizes an individual who has made a distinguished contribution to the field of reference librarianship. Sponsored byÂ GaleÂ CengageÂ Learning; $5,000* and aÂ citation.
- Novelistâ€™s Margaret E. Monroe Library Adult Services AwardÂ recognizes a librarian who has made significant contributions to library adult services. Sponsored byÂ Novelist; $1,250* and aÂ citation.
- Gale Cengage Learning Award for Excellence in Reference and Adult Library ServicesÂ is given to a library or library system for developing an imaginative and unique resource to meet patrons’ reference needs. Sponsored byÂ Gale Cengage Learning; $3,000* and aÂ citation.
- John Sessions Memorial AwardÂ recognizes a library or library systemÂ that has made a significant effort to work with the labor community and by doing so has brought recognition to the history and contribution of the labor movement to the development of the United States. Sponsored by theÂ Department for Professional Employees, AFL-CIO, the winner receives aÂ plaque.
- Reference Service Press AwardÂ recognizes the most outstanding article published inÂ Reference and User Services Quarterly (RUSQ),Â RUSAâ€™s research journal, during the preceding two-volume year. Sponsored byÂ Reference Service Press; $2,500* prize and aÂ plaque.
- BRASS Gale Cengage Learning Award for Excellence in Business LibrarianshipÂ is presented to an individual who has made a significant contribution to business librarianship. Sponsored byÂ Gale Cengage Learning; $3,000* and aÂ citation.
- Louis Shores AwardÂ recognizes an individual reviewer, group, editor, review medium or organization for excellence in book reviewing and other media for libraries. The winner receives aÂ citation.
- Zora Neale Hurston AwardÂ honors an individual ALA member who has demonstrated leadership in promoting African-American literature. Sponsored byÂ HarperCollins; the winner receives $1,250* supporting travel to the ALA Annual Conference, a plaque, tickets to the ALTAFF Author Tea and a set of Hurstonâ€™s books in print with HarperCollins at the time of theÂ award presentation.
- ABC-CLIO Online History AwardÂ recognizes an individual or group that has produced a 1) freely available online historical collection or, 2) an online tool assisting users in finding historical materials, or 3) an online teaching aid stimulating creative historical scholarship. Sponsored byÂ ABC-CLIO;Â $2,500* and a citation.
- History Section Genealogical Publishing Company AwardÂ is presented to a librarian, library or publisher who is a RUSA member, and recognizes professional achievement in historical reference and research librarianship. Sponsored byÂ Genealogical Publishing Company; $1,500* and aÂ citation.
- MARS â€œMy Favorite Martianâ€ AwardÂ is a citation presented annually in recognition of excellence in service to the MARS: Emerging Technologies in Reference Section of RUSA. The winner receives a citation.
- RSS Service Achievement AwardÂ is presented annually to a member of the Reference Services Section (RSS) of RUSA in recognition of exceptional contributions to the section. The winner receives a citation.
- Virginia Boucher/OCLC Distinguished ILL Librarian AwardÂ is given to an individual for his or her outstanding professional achievement, leadership, and contributions to interlibrary loan and document delivery. Sponsored byÂ OCLC; $2,000* and aÂ citation.
Travel awards to the ALA Annual Conference:
- BRASS Gale Cengage Learning Student Travel AwardÂ presents funds to a student enrolled in an ALA accredited master’s degree program to fund travel the ALA Annual Conference. Sponsored byÂ Gale Cengage Learning; $1,250* and a citation.Â This awardâ€™s nomination deadline is Feb. 8, 2015.
- BRASS Business Expert Press Award for Academic Business LibrariansÂ is presented to a new librarian in the field of academic business librarianship in order to support attendance to the ALA Annual Conference. Sponsored byÂ Business Expert Press; $1,250* and a citation.
- Morningstar Public Librarian Support AwardÂ offers funds to a public librarian who has performed outstanding business reference service and who requires financial assistance to attend theÂ ALA Annual Conference. Sponsored byÂ Morningstar, Inc.; $1,000* and a citation.
- STARS/Atlas Systems Mentoring AwardÂ offers ALA Annual Conference travel assistance funds to a library practitioner who is new to the field of interlibrary loan/document delivery or electronic reserves, and who has involvement in the areas of borrowing, lending, document delivery, electronic reserves, material delivery or resourceÂ sharing. Sponsored byÂ Atlas Systems; $1,250* and a citation.
*Monetary award amounts are subject to change without notice and are contingent upon donor funding supplied at the time the award is presented. Questions about these awards should be directed to the committee chairpersonâ€”access committee contact information by logging in atÂ www.ala.org, then accessing theÂ RUSA roster webpageâ€”or to theÂ RUSA headquarters staff.
More information about these awards, including nominating instructions, can be found onÂ RUSAâ€™s awards webpage.