The nomination deadline has been extended to Dec. 23, 2013 for several of RUSA’s annual awardsÂ Â with the exception of the BRASS GaleÂ CengageÂ Learning Student Travel Award, which has a deadline of Jan. 31, 2014.
Award criteria, nomination forms and instructions for submissions are available at each of the awardâ€™s web pages, which can be accessed by clicking on the award names below. More information about these awards, including nominating instructions, can be found at theÂ RUSAÂ Awards Web page. Monetary award amounts are subject to change without notice and are contingent upon donor funding supplied at the time the award is presented. Questions about these awards should be directed to the committee chairperson or toÂ LeighannÂ Wood,Â RUSA’sÂ awards program coordinator, atÂ firstname.lastname@example.org.
Awards for Individuals and Groups for Professional Achievement
- TheÂ IsadoreÂ GilbertÂ MudgeÂ AwardÂ presents a monetary prizeÂ of $5,000 and a citation to an individual who has made a distinguished contribution to reference librarianship.
- TheÂ GaleÂ CengageÂ Learning Award for Excellence in Reference and Adult Library ServicesÂ offers $3,000 prize and a citation which is given to a library or library system for developing an imaginative and unique resource to meet patronsâ€™ reference needs.
- TheÂ GaleÂ CengageÂ Learning Award for Excellence in Business LibrarianshipÂ presents a citation and $3,000 cash award to an individual who has made a significant contribution to business librarianship.
- TheÂ History Section Genealogical Publishing Company AwardÂ is presented to a librarian, library or publisher who is aÂ RUSAÂ member and recognizes professional achievement in historical reference and research librarianship. Sponsored by Genealogical Publishing Company; prize of $1,500 and a citation.
- TheÂ Louis Shores AwardÂ recognizes an individual reviewer, group, editor, review medium or organization for excellence in book reviewing and other media for libraries. The winner receives a citation at theÂ RUSAÂ awards ceremony at the ALA Annual Conference.
- TheÂ RSS Service Achievement AwardÂ is a citation presented annually to a Reference Services Section (RSS) member in recognition of exceptional contributions to the section.
- TheÂ John Sessions Memorial AwardÂ is a $1,000 prize and a citation recognizing a library or library system which has made a significant effort to work with the labor community and by doing so has brought recognition to the history and contribution of the labor movement to the development of the United States.
- Novelistâ€™s Margaret E. Monroe AwardÂ is a $1,250 prize sponsored by Novelist and a citation presented to a librarian who has made significant contributions to library adult services.
- TheÂ ZoraÂ NealeÂ HurstonÂ AwardÂ is a citation given to an ALA member that has demonstrated outstanding leadership in promoting African American literature.
Travel Grants to ALA Annual Conference
- TheÂ BRASS Business Expert Press Award for Academic Business LibrariansÂ is sponsored by Business Expert Press and is presented to a new librarian in the field of academic business librarianship in order to support attendance at the ALA Annual Conference. This award consists of $1,250 and a citation.
- TheÂ BRASS GaleÂ CengageÂ Learning Student Travel AwardÂ presents $1,000 to a student enrolled in an ALA accredited masterâ€™s degree program to fund travel to the ALA Annual Conference.Â This awardâ€™s nomination deadline is Jan. 31, 2013.
- TheÂ BRASS Emerald Research GrantÂ consists of a $2,500 award and a citation presented to an individual or a group seeking support to conduct research in business librarianship. This award is sponsored by Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
For complete details including eligibility, criteria, submission guidelines and committee information, please visit theÂ RUSAÂ Awards page.
TheÂ Reference and User Services Association, a division of the American Library Association, represents librarians and library staff in the fields of reference, specialized reference, collection development, readersâ€™ advisory and resource sharing.Â RUSAÂ is the foremost organization of reference and information professionals who make the connections between people and the information sources, services, and collection materials they need. Â Not a member, but interested in discounted registration rates on conference,Â preconferencesÂ and other events? Join, renew or addÂ RUSAÂ to your ALA membership atÂ www.ala.org/membership. Learn more about the association at www.ala.org/rusa.