The nomination deadline has been extended to Dec. 23, 2013 for several of RUSA’s annual awards with the exception of the BRASS Gale Cengage Learning Student Travel Award, which has a deadline of Jan. 31, 2014.
Award criteria, nomination forms and instructions for submissions are available at each of the award’s web pages, which can be accessed by clicking on the award names below. More information about these awards, including nominating instructions, can be found at the RUSA Awards Web page. Monetary award amounts are subject to change without notice and are contingent upon donor funding supplied at the time the award is presented. Questions about these awards should be directed to the committee chairperson or to Leighann Wood, RUSA’s awards program coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Awards for Individuals and Groups for Professional Achievement
- The Isadore Gilbert Mudge Award presents a monetary prize of $5,000 and a citation to an individual who has made a distinguished contribution to reference librarianship.
- The Gale Cengage Learning Award for Excellence in Reference and Adult Library Services offers $3,000 prize and a citation which is given to a library or library system for developing an imaginative and unique resource to meet patrons’ reference needs.
- The Gale Cengage Learning Award for Excellence in Business Librarianship presents a citation and $3,000 cash award to an individual who has made a significant contribution to business librarianship.
- The History Section Genealogical Publishing Company Award is presented to a librarian, library or publisher who is a RUSA member and recognizes professional achievement in historical reference and research librarianship. Sponsored by Genealogical Publishing Company; prize of $1,500 and a citation.
- The Louis Shores Award recognizes an individual reviewer, group, editor, review medium or organization for excellence in book reviewing and other media for libraries. The winner receives a citation at the RUSA awards ceremony at the ALA Annual Conference.
- The RSS Service Achievement Award is a citation presented annually to a Reference Services Section (RSS) member in recognition of exceptional contributions to the section.
- The John Sessions Memorial Award is a $1,000 prize and a citation recognizing a library or library system which has made a significant effort to work with the labor community and by doing so has brought recognition to the history and contribution of the labor movement to the development of the United States.
- Novelist’s Margaret E. Monroe Award is a $1,250 prize sponsored by Novelist and a citation presented to a librarian who has made significant contributions to library adult services.
- The Zora Neale Hurston Award is a citation given to an ALA member that has demonstrated outstanding leadership in promoting African American literature.
Travel Grants to ALA Annual Conference
- The BRASS Business Expert Press Award for Academic Business Librarians is sponsored by Business Expert Press and is presented to a new librarian in the field of academic business librarianship in order to support attendance at the ALA Annual Conference. This award consists of $1,250 and a citation.
- The BRASS Gale Cengage Learning Student Travel Award presents $1,000 to a student enrolled in an ALA accredited master’s degree program to fund travel to the ALA Annual Conference. This award’s nomination deadline is Jan. 31, 2013.
- The BRASS Emerald Research Grant consists of a $2,500 award and a citation presented to an individual or a group seeking support to conduct research in business librarianship. This award is sponsored by Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
For complete details including eligibility, criteria, submission guidelines and committee information, please visit the RUSA Awards page.
The Reference and User Services Association, a division of the American Library Association, represents librarians and library staff in the fields of reference, specialized reference, collection development, readers’ advisory and resource sharing. RUSA is the foremost organization of reference and information professionals who make the connections between people and the information sources, services, and collection materials they need. Not a member, but interested in discounted registration rates on conference, preconferences and other events? Join, renew or add RUSA to your ALA membership at www.ala.org/membership. Learn more about the association at www.ala.org/rusa.